Hi Kirsten & Christopher,
I've been enjoying your book, "Fermented Vegetables." I picked up a copy at a
Story Publishing sale this summer. I've made some great pickles and Edgy Vegetables.
I'm writing because I'm having a problem with your Curried Cauliflower recipe. I've followed the recipe and it's in a Gallon Jar with glass weights and a fermentation lid as you can see. The problem is that it's not making much liquid. I added about 1.75 teaspoons of salt when I made it and after 12 hours there was just maybe an inch of liquid. It's definitely reduced in size a few inches. I took out the contents and added another teaspoon of salt and put it back in the jar. But I'm still not seeing much liquid after another 4 or 5 hours.
Can you help me? Should I make a brine and add it? The cauliflower is a head that I grew and picked a few days ago, so it's pretty fresh.
Hmmm. I wonder if you have more liquid now. Usually this is not an issue when the cauliflower is thinly sliced. It last oks like your cauliflower and veggies are all plenty small. A good massage or knee ding also help release the liquid. Problem is sometimes the veggies are just abnormally dry. I of course don’t know if that is what is going on but could be.
You need just enough brine to keep things anaerobic with no air pockets.
What to do from here is the question. If you now have enough—great. If not you could add a low salt water solution. Not my favorite but will save the batch. It sounds like you already have a bit of salt. The solution I’m thinking is 1 tablespoon per pint of water. I would say if you put in two teaspoons already then only make the brine with two teaspoons instead of the full tablespoon.
Hope that helps.