Hello, I have been fermenting for many years and I always wonder about the whole mold. I have heard some say just scrape it off and you'll be fine. I wondered your opinion. Hear is a pic of my odd pickle mold.
Thanks for your help.
There are different kinds of mold and with those different concerns. The smaller white molds are okay and can be scraped off — once you get into pink and black molds you should throw it away. I also find that if it is a shredded sauerkraut scraping off mold will get you to a layer that has been anaerobic and safe from the mold, however, like in your pickles below that mold is on a cucumber that goes through the whole jar and I consider this to be more infected.
I hope that helps,